Adequate sleep is an essential part of a healthy lifestyle. Most adults need 7-8 hours of a good quality sleep on a regular schedule. I am one of those people and if I do not get enough sleep, I do not wake up on the right side of the bed. However, when I am well rested, I feel like I can take on the world.
Here are 5 ways sleep does a body good:
- Sleep improves mood. A good night’s sleep increases emotional stability.
- Sleep improves memory. During sleep you can strengthen memories or practice skills learned while you were awake.
- Sleep affects physique. Researchers at the University of Chicago found that dieters who were well rested lost more fat. Those who were sleep deprived lost more muscle mass.
- Sleep lowers blood levels of inflammatory proteins. High levels of inflammatory proteins leads to inflammation. Inflammation is linked to heart disease, stroke, diabetes, arthritis, and premature aging.
- Sleep affects lifespan. Sleeping less than six hours a night has been linked to a 12% increase in the likelihood of dying prematurely than someone who sleeps up to eight hours.
If you liked this entry, please share it using the links below!